RDS: "With familiarity the profound becomes mundane. With passion the mundane becomes profound."...... Saul Bellow :" A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." ......MORE PHOTOS @ saunterings.com

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A TOAD'S VIEW OF COMING WINTER

In mid-fall are summer days when temperatures deceive, except for turn-coat leaves, shadows long and days too short, the season is remiss, each mild day a respite from reality. For soon leaves will tumble, twist and float from on high to mosaic the ground below. The week-end of mid-October was like that, two wonderful misplaced summer days.
But then a front passed through and fall breezed in right behind. The southern-sent humidity dropped, as did the temperatures too. The reign of fall returned as it must with rain drops and leaf drops and spirits dropping too! Reality of the season returned.

We all handle the season’s change in our own way. Some are more sad than others that the prospect of the long winter looms!!

As an aside, I’ve seen toads out as late as mid-December in mild wet weather. Whether they had never began hibernation or were fooled by the pleasant weather spell I don’t know. But it is quite rare!

Also in the greenhouse I had a desert planting on the ground and while weeding once in late February the sand under my hand began to move, as I jumped up, startled, a toad wiggled from the sandy soil!!

One spring when lifting pots of perennials again the soil began to move!! Again a toad was coming out. The surprising thing was how shallow he had spent the winter. Between three pots, not more than 2-3 inches below the surface I could see the hollow he had scooped out. It was obvious this was his retreat from the winter. Being so shallow it was also obvious the soil around him must have been frozen during the winter months. I was really amazed!!

1 comment:

Sherri B. said...

What a great photo! I think I would've jumped ten feet if that toad had popped out of the soil at me. lol

Thanks for visiting my new blog! My muse seems to be taking me in a new direction and I am really enjoying myself. I'm so excited and happy to be learning about photography. I hope you're well, RDS - have a wonderful day. :)

About the Sauntering Recluse

My photo
Ithaca, New York
Greenhouse operater well-rooted, now branching out. Photo and writing interests now springing from a long term dormancy.

Followers

nature

Nature Blog Network
Powered by WebRing.